1. Mammals are the only group to have a diaphragm which separates the lungs from the guts. This allows mammals to either run after or away from a predator/prey without their guts moving up into their lungs choking them.
2. Shrews(which is pictured) are often NOT eaten by predators because of the ammonia in their bodies from the insects they eat makes them taste really bad.
3. Small rodents never drink water because they get enough from the seeds, insects, or dew on grasses they eat.
4. If you find a small rodent tooth in scat or owl pellet and it has many roots like a human tooth it’s a mouse and if it has one root it’s from a vole.
5. It is not snow melt or snowfall that causes a snowshoe hare or arctic foxes to change fur color but the length of light in the day called photoperiod.
6. If you catch a female in a trap there is a higher percentage that the next animal caught in the trap will be a male.
7. That European badgers look way different from Wisconsin badgers. Can you tell which is which? Weird looking foreign badger.
8. The Nova Scotia porcupines sometimes eat seaweed for the salt which helps to counteract with the high amount bark they eat.
.9. From a lecture on climate change I learned that cement mining/manufacturing is one of the biggest contributors to global climate change.
10. The shrew is the animal which bats evolved from.
11. The more variety of mosses, fungi, and lichens you find in an area means a cleaner air quality.
12. Birch trees can regrow their bark after a porcupine or beaver chew on it to prevent the pest from girdling the tree and killing it.